Generate Media Attention
Social Media Checklist
1. Add the hashtag #voteifyoucare and tag @CAREActionNow in each social copy. Always include a photo or an image with your post and tweet.
2. Follow CARE Action on social media! Feel free to like or share our content with the candidates and current Members of Congress you think need to know about global development and ending poverty. Make sure to tag them in your posts.
|CARE Action Podcast|
3. Follow your Member of Congress and congressional candidates on Twitter, Facebook or other platforms to keep track of what they are working on and talking about. Your candidates and incumbent Members of Congress will likely list social media information on his/her website.
4. Learn how to add a constituent badge to your Facebook page to get better visibility in your district with your Member of Congress.
5. Check out Advocate U to view additional resources about using social media to engage with your Members of Congress.
Feel free to click the sample tweets below and immediately share on your own Twitter feed or reword to reflect your own voice. Be sure to look up the twitter handle of your candidate or Member of Congress and tag him or her using the @ symbol.
U.S. Foreign Assistance
- @XYZ The U.S. spends < 1% of the budget on global development. Make fighting foreign assistance a priority in the 2018 Midterms #voteifyoucare
Food and Nutrition Security
- @XYZ There’s enough food in the world to feed everyone. Let’s make ending #globalhunger a priority in the 2018 Midterms! http://shout.lt/wzGL #voteifyoucare
- @XYZ 65M people are displaced worldwide due to conflict, famine, and other crises. Let’s prioritize these emergences in the 2018 Midterms! #voteifyoucare
- @XYZ Up to 70% of women in some communities experience violence in their lifetimes. Please make empowering women and ending GBV a priority in the 2018 Midterms! #voteifyoucare
- @XYZ Healthy moms around the world mean healthy societies. We need candidates who will champion global maternal health programs. #voteifyoucare
Writing your own Facebook messages or tweets? Great! Here are some questions to inspire you:
- How are the midterm elections relevant to fighting poverty globally?
- Why does fighting poverty inspire you to take action? What can your friends and family do to help?
- What will you do when you return home after a candidate’s town hall to continue the conversation?
- What’s the overall goal of the candidate’s campaign? How can you contribute to making sure that global issues are part of their platform?
Short urls (or links) save space in your tweets or other social posts. The following are short urls to pages on CARE Action.org that correspond with the issues you may be asking candidates to learn more about. You can create your own short url with any link by visiting a site like bitly.com.
You can also visit CARE Action’s “Explore the issues” page on Advocate U to learn more.
- Foreign Assistance: https://bit.ly/2og6jlq
- Food and Nutrition Security: https://bit.ly/2wpOzbb
- Gender Empowerment: https://bit.ly/2wsIXNv
- Humanitarian Emergencies: https://bit.ly/2NsowaM
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: https://bit.ly/2MQXRas