Day of the Girl - Cincinnati
Celebrate the unique potential of women and girls to change the world!
Day of the Girl is an international day of observance declared by the United Nations to increase awareness of inequality faced by girls worldwide based on their gender and to help galvanize enthusiasm for goals to better girls’ lives, providing an opportunity for them to show leadership and reach their full potential.
This year the theme of our local event is “Shoot for the Moon” – highlighting women and girls who are leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
Their personal stories, lessons learned and words of encouragement will inspire anyone daring to dream big and make a difference in the world!
We are excited to announce the following speakers and contributors to this year’s program:
Welcome Reception – DJ Extraordinaire, Kevin Taylor
Resolution - Denise Driehaus, Hamilton County Commissioner
• Amina Darwish, PhD, Muslim Chaplain, University of Cincinnati, and founder, Mercy in Action
• Cindy Dellinger, MD, Gynecology and Women’s Health, The Christ Hospital
• Dr. Whitney Gaskins, Assistant professor, University of Cincinnati College of Engineering and Applied Science and founder, The Gaskins Foundation•
Stephanie Horvath, Continuous Improvement Engineer, L'Oréal
• Maureen O’Brien, MD, MS Medical Director, Leukemia/Lymphoma Program, Children’s Hospital and Associate Professor, UC Department of Pediatrics
• Lakshmi Kode Sammarco, MD, Hamilton County Coroner, and founder, NeuroRadPro LLC
Wrap up: Ellen Carmichael, Senior Policy Adviser, CARE International
>Student hosts: Anna Brooks, Grace Haucke, Camille Williams
Followed by tours of the spectacular Cincinnati Observatory
Won’t you join us?
• Free and open to all. (All ages welcome!)
• Location: Cincinnati Observatory, 3489 Observatory Place
• Partners: Sponsor - Axcess Financial ~ International Partner - CARE International and Local Partner - Cincinnati Observatory